Thursday, July 9, 2009

capturing the spirit of little girls

Our youngest turned 6 back in February. For one reason or another we never had her "friend" party. So yesterday we finally had THE party. And it was definitely worth the wait. She had a Pixie Pal party, invited 8 friends and to say it was magical is an understatement. The party started with me reading a book about Pixie Hollow to the girls.

What I like about this book is that it briefly describes the different pixies of Pixie Hollow and their special talents. The girls had fun saying which pixie they thought that they were like. Afterwards I reminded them that they each had their own special talents that weren't even discussed in the book. Their eyes started to sparkle. On cue with the story, we sprinkle glitter with glitter hair spray (commonly found around Halloween....but most drug stores carry all the time). Now they were really sparkling!!!!!
We settled in for our first project. Decorating their Pixie Book that I had made. It was perfect. They colored, added bling and giggled for a long time!



Then we shifted gears to cake decorating. I made individual star cakes. I played on the star theme since the directions to Pixie Hollow are........follow the second star to the right until morning and you will know when you get there. We had a palette of colored frostings and lots of sprinkles. What more could a group of 6 year olds ask for. Yummmmmmm.



Luckily we had a little time afterwards, so the girls all ran around.....hopefully burning off some of the sugar that they consumed. I heard several girls comment on how fun the party was, but our own daughter looked at me and said, "Mom, this is the best day ever!" When you hear that you KNOW it was magical!
I encourage everyone with a little girl in the their life, whether it is a daughter, niece, granddaughter, neighbor.......plan a little pixie party...I promise you won't be disappointed. For those of you with boys, please don't think that I am biased.... The Pixie theme just so happens to be something my daughter gravitates to. The Pixie she likes the most is Fawn, who happens to be described as a rough and tumble tom-boy pixie....that pretty much sums up our hockey playing 6 year old, but she still believes in magic!

No comments: