Sunday, August 12, 2012

Beach Finds

I am taking Alisa Burke's ode-to-nature-online-class and she has asked us to consider some questions.  One of them being, what is your favorite way to be in nature.  For me, without a doubt, is to be near water.  It has always been a place where I feel very comfortable and a place I seek out.  As a child we would spend many days during the summer at my Grandparent's cabin on Lake Huron.  It was perfect.  Hot, summer days cooling off in the crystal clear lake.  Cool, windy days surfing in the big waves (still a favorite).  Long walks on the beach with my entire family.  There was no nudging to go for a walk.  We all enjoyed it.  It makes me sad to think about the generation that is plugged into electronics.  To this day I seek out the water.  Sitting at the waters edge with a book or journal.  Walking along the shore in any temperature or weather condition.  The noise from the water helps drown out the thoughts, clears my mind in a meditative way and then, before I know it....an idea, a solution, a calm, a restorative feeling settles in.

Yesterday my husband and I went to the beach.  To walk.  To soak in the sights and the sounds.  To collect beach treasures.  This is what we found.





a seagull skull

a really nice fish skeleton


No comments: